Re: Apparent weight

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:19:55 EST
From: Raacc@aol.com
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: Apparent weight

<< Once our students get this separation of weight from the mg force, then
they are far more successful with solving dynamics and statics problems. >>

This is surprising since most texts I've used define weight as mg. I've just
looked through these texts that all define W = mg.

What texts define it differently and therefore make statics and dynamics
problem solving easier?

Bob Carlson

We have: in a secondary school syllabus for our state (and in an
associated textbook) we used the term "apparent weight" when
discussing a unit on gravity, as others have used it in this
discussion. It seems to work well.
Cheers
Margaret Mazzolini

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
Astrophysics & Supercomputing Group
School of Biophysical Sciences and Electrical Engineering
Swinburne University of Technology
P.O. Box 218,
Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
email: mmazzolini@swin.edu.au
phone: (61 3) 9214 8084 fax: (61 3) 9819 0856