Re: magnetic poles

Doesn't this all become a non-issue if we say "The Earth's Magnetic North
Pole is a south-seeking pole"?<

Sure, but as I understand it, for centuries we have been using the definition
that "The north pole of a magnet points north (if it is free to do so)."
This is actually easier to remember and use unless you are analyzing the
Earth's field instead of the magnet's. But more to the point, it's in
place and
overturning it with its exact opposite would be very confusing and indeed
impossible. I've never actually tried this with a magnet with its ends marked
"N" and "S", but I think it's correct. If anyone has, especially if they
have
found the opposite, please post your observation.

Bill Larson
Geneva

Yes, indeed. Much of this North/South confusion can be cleared up by
hanging a 'correctly' marked bar magnet by a string from the ceiling. A
compass neede is just a minature bar magnet. The markings are identical.
Paula Abduhl summs it up pefectly,

It's a natural fact
that opposites attract!

The first thing I do when we get close to doing magnetism is to hang a bar
magnet in the front of the room. I don't make a big deal about 'poles'
since they don't even exist! We map the field of a solenoid (wound on two
inch transparent cylinders) to see that the field lines are continuous
loops.) The field lines DON'T begin at the North 'pole' or end at the South
'pole'. There are no poles.

But if we want to MODEL the earth's field by imagining a SHORT bar magnet
at the center, then indeed, Santa Clause lives nearer the South magnetic
pole of the fictional bar magnet and the penguins live nearer the North end
of the barmagnet.
(sorry about that Herb)

Yes, it's unfortunate that the magnetic terms North and South were related
to the Geographic directions, but what is done, is done. We SHOULDN'T
downplay the magnetic meanings of North and South by uaeing outmoded terms
north-seeking or north-pointing for magnets.

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu