The thread of threads

It seems to me clear that Ludwik's List is a plot to get people going on all
the favourite recurring threads simultaneously!

So far centrifugal/petal-ism has not reared its head, but the apparent
weight discussion reminds me to share a thought: The difference between what
you feel when whirling round the Earth in the shuttle, as opposed to
whirling round horizontally in some machine in an amusement park is perhaps
a good way to introduce the idea that the mg "force of gravity" is unlike
other forces. This is a different lesson from the "apparent weight " lesson,
however.

I am increasingly convinced that the only reason I understood the physics I
was taught at school and university was because I was too stupid to see the
difficulties.

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic