Re: Apparent weight

I imagine these hypothetical conversations between media people (M), NASA pr
people (NPR), and physicists (P) in isolated instances.

After a TV broadcast of a launch in the sixties.

M1: That guy's floating.

M2: Yeah, it's as if he doesn't weigh anything.

Light bulb flickers over M1's head.

M1: Yeah, weightless.

After reading and watching the media's characterization of the event:

NPR1: So how do we deal with this weightless thing?

NPR2: The public seems to have accepted the idea?

NPR1: Yeah, but . . .

NPR2: Let the physics teachers handle it.

P1: So, how are you going to explain the weightless thing?

P2: Talk about bathroom scales in elevators and call it true weight and
apparent weight.

P1: Why not just call the force the scale applies to the mass being weighed a
normal force?

P2: That's too easy. The students will never believe us. Besides, we have
to explain it in terminology that the public uses.

A computer programmer overhearing this conversation shakes her head and
mumbles: Use terminology the public uses? Windows? Mouse? Buttons? Links?