Re: Apparent weight

At 08:03 2/14/98 -0500, Bill Larson wrote:

...they have never used a
triple-beam balance (My lab equipment consists of a set
of children's toys that I bring in from home - don't ask),
do not know what one is or how it works.
Bill Larson
Geneva

I'd like to know what sort of students Bill teaches,
if this is the Geneva au pres du Lac Leman?

Yup, on Lac Leman (Lake Geneva)
Actually I teach in Montreux, at two high schools and a
college. All are small, private (expensive) and taught in English.
The students are from all over the world. The schools choose
to economize on lab equipment. But, hey, they fixed the floor
in my classroom, where you used to be able to put your foot
through the floor.

Cheers,
Bill Larson

The Geneva area is not just the home of some united Nations functions,
some expensive finishing schools and a picturesque lake plied by ferries,
but forms a footnote in the historical development of electrical science
and the gigantic electrical power business.

When the Davys' grand european tour of Science hot-spots hit Geneva,
Faraday was taken up by Professor de la Rive, who treated him as an honored
guest, despite his acting in some respects as a servant to the somewhat
domineering Lady Davy.

Faraday corresponded with de la Rive and his son for many years thereafter,
progressing from the moment when against the Davys wishes he was dined in
an adjoining room at the Geneva house, to the times when Faraday was heaped
with honors and declining the offer of the Presidency of both the Royal
Institution, and also the Royal Society.

I would like to think that the University of Geneva and the Royal Institution
might well be inclined to help you as a modern-day 'prisoner of Chillon'
( the British being notably prone to celebrating their history, the Swiss
still savoring the style of 'British chic' from Imperial times long
passed....)

I see that Montreaux is hardly much bigger than Altus - itself a small
country town - so that you must be teaching at ALL the local schools?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK