Re: A list of textbook miscon: spatial coherence

Hi Bob! What part of my long diatribe seems to be discussing temporal
coherence? While writing it, I was visualizing a set of atoms which emit
perfectly monochromatic light ("temporally coherent"), so temporal
coherence issues can be ignored. Either some of my thoughts are confused,
or I didn't succeed in stating them clearly.

I think you are using an unorthodox definition of coherence.
My favorite misconception in this area is that a LASER is a
light amplifier, as would be inferred by any reasonable
person who is introduced to the acronym in the usual manner.
It is not an amplifier; it is more properly an oscillator,
and thus it should be called a "LOSER". I can't imagine why
this latter acronym has not caught on.

Leigh