Re: A list of textbook misconceptions

I did not anticipate the obvious, that people would add items to the list
at about the same time and that we will have several incomplete lists in
circulation. As a punishment I will impose it on myself the task of adding
your items to the list, without any changes. Send them to me and I will
append them, provided they are short (say 4 to 5 lines, maximum). A list is
not a replacement for threads related to individual items. Unless somebody
objects I suggest that only COMMON misconceptions to be found in TEXTBOOKS
are listed in the form that states the POSTIVE (what is true rather than
what is wrong) aspects. Please send me your items in the format which will
minimize editing (to me in private) and will append them. I will keep
posting the updated list till it stops growing. It does not have to be a
very long list to be useful. We can even publish it somewhere as a collective
contribution from this list (phys-L will the only author).

Student misconceptions should not be part of THIS list; start one if you
feel it can be useful. To edit your items ask for the updated list to be
e-mailed to you (also in private) and then post it as the most updated list.
I do not want to do any editing, or to remove items. DO NOT CONFUSE this
thread "ABOUT THE LIST" with thread "LIST OF TEXTBOOK MISCONCEPTIONS" under
which all updatings will be made. I am a little sorry for starting the list
but what is done is done .... Let us see how it goes.

Ludwik Kowalski kowalskiL@alpha.montclair.edu