Re: Explanation of airfoils

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, John Trammell wrote:

Hello all:

Funny, these coincidences. I just received a flier for a talk
to be given here at Fermilab this coming Tuesday (Feb. 17th)
entitled, "The Physics of Flight: It's Newton not Bernoulli".

Hi John!

I suspect that the "Newtonists" are gathering converts at an exponential
rate. This issue is currently popping up in many places. I just received
a message yesterday, from the author of the book NEWTONIAN AERODYNAMICS
(see below.) When I first encountered an article about this in 1987,(1) I
had already been in a couple of teacher/student battles in grade school
over whether wings work because of deflection of air. The issue certainly
didn't start in 1987, but it recently seems to have "hit the fan."

(1)
K. Weltner, A COMPARISON OF EXPLANATIONS OF THE AERODYNAMIC LIFTING
FORCE, Am. J. of Physics, 55 (1) Jan. 1987 pp50-54

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb