Re: about the LIST OF TEXTBOOK MISCONCEPTIONS

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:41:09 -0600
From: trammell@fn872.fnal.gov (John Trammell)
Subject: Explanation of airfoils [was: Right, wrong, and switching opinions]

Everything can be turned into a joke, at a price. In this case the price
is killing a good intention. I think that something good can come from
our serious attempt of identifying textbook misconceptions.

But I hate to be a censor. So let me suggest that the author removes items
number 6 and 8 and repost the list. If not, they will remain as entered.
I see nothing wrong with suggestions for rephrasing. But, except for
obvious typos, only the authors of items should change them. And new
threads can be generated to discuss items, if necessary. I never saw
item 7 in a textbook. We are focusing on common textbook misconceptions,
not on student misconceptions, I suppose. There is no need to quote headers
while reposting the list.

I rephrased item 4, as suggested. Item 5 can be modified in the same
spirit, that is by stating the positive rather than negative.

A LIST OF TEXTBOOK MISCONCEPTIONS
*************************************

1) The Physics of Flight: It's Newton not Bernoulli.

2) The green house effect: suppression of convection is the main factor.

3) Capacitors in series: the equilibrated charges are not equal in the
dc circuits.

4) Melting of ice under skating blades is not due to high pressure.

5) Coriolis effect makes the toilet water go round and round

6) Deans know what they are doing at least some of the time

7) Batteries are sources of charge

8) My house is dirty because of El Nino

Number 8 is my story and I'm sticking to it. Paul J. Camp

I am sorry for your misfortunes with El Nino. Ludwik Kowalski