Re: Explanation of airfoils [was: Right, wrong, and switching

Hello all:

Funny, these coincidences. I just received a flier for a talk
to be given here at Fermilab this coming Tuesday (Feb. 17th)
entitled, "The Physics of Flight: It's Newton not Bernoulli".

The flier text reads:

The Bernoulli explanation of flight that we were taught
is at best incomplete and very often misleading. A wing
^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
develops lift by diverting air down. Lots of air! This
can be understood by simple Newtonian mechanics. With a
few simple assumptions most phenomena associated with
flight can be calculated to a good order without ever
considering the details of wing shape, or invoking
Bernoulli's principle. Topics to be covered are: lift on
a wing, inverted flight, the power curve, drag, ground
effect, wing tip vortices, and more.

But I notice that the blurb doesn't actually say WRONG!!!!!
Supersonic wings are in fact symmetric, top and bottom. (or so my flyboy
collegue tells me)

I can't beleive that for sub-sonic flight, the only reason for the 'air
foil' shape to STILL be used is that of inertia from the Wright brother's
original wind tunnel measurements.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936