Re: understand understanding, simple explanations, etc.

QED? how have you proven anything?

To say that a partial understanding is useless is like telling me that
because I lack the finer details of music thoery I cannot somewhat
understand the subleties of theme and harmony interplay at the symphony.

I hope I misunderstood your comment! As "conceptual physics" is near
and dear to me! There is a difference between the
practioners, who will argue about the finer points of an issue as we all
do, and those who can only understand a little, at a "conceptual"
level. 30 years ago when I started teaching High school Physics I started
conceptual physics course. One parent told me you can not teach physics
without math, to which I replied the "I was doing just that". I still am
to some students who have but a rudimentary idea of math. They do gain a
sense of satisfaction about understanding the princples of driving on
snow, the colors of the rainbow, the value of circuit breakers all with
out detailed mathematics. Take students from where they are and help them
move forward.

I do confess that it easier to teach to students who do understand
mathematics.

Ken Fox
Smoky Hill High School
16100 Smoky Hill Rd