Re: Simple explanations. Was: what are the labs for?

Hi all-
Donald Simanek writes, with respect to his "slinky" problem:
Intentions? Both of the above, and more. What stimulated me to ask was a
passing comment someone made about simple explanations, giving the
impression that good, simple explanations were usually available for
teaching physics, and we ought to use them in teaching. Of course we do
use them, when we are clever enough to think of them! And usually we only
are *able* to think of them because we already understand something of the
problem already, through experience, and through an understanding of the
mathematical theory behind it. Only then do we teachers have the broader
perspective to *know* whether a simplified explanation is valid, or
fraudulent. The student isn't usually able to make that judgment.

The student hears our *simple* explanations and is intimidated. The
student feels that these would never have occurred to his or her mind
(rightly so, usually) and wonders what special insight the teacher had.
The better students realize that often these simple explanations are quite
limited in scope and applicability.
So what do we do about those physics teachers who are not clever,
imaginative and interested. I've known a couple.
Jack