Re: Simple explanations. Was: what are the labs for?

OK, Rick. I now understand that your uestion "WHO CARES?" was
not meant as a personal reaction to Donald's poser (as the caps
indicated to me) but rather as a matter of instructional policy
inquiry. In a properly oriented university even service courses
are accorded some degree of professional courtesy. Chemists in
a first class university trust the teaching of mathematics,
physics, and English to academic colleagues credentialed in
those disciplines rather than teaching their own courses. In
physics we frequently question what why mathematicians teach
our majors some of the things they teach them, but while we
might comment and query our coleagues in the mathematics
department we would never be so intemperate as to suggest that
we could do a better job of teaching "mathematics for students
of physics".

If you are a physicist you have an important gift to give to
your students that they can get in only an inferior version in
another place. You can show them your interest. Perhaps, on
seeing this, the better ones among them might be able to take
something of value away with them to their chosen disciplines.
I've never aspired to anything more than that in my teaching of
service courses.

Leigh