Re: Simple explanations. Was: what are the labs for?

At 10:30 AM -0800 2/8/98, Rick Tarara wrote:

Let me respond with my very first thoughts on this. WHO CARES? OK, such
phenomenon are interesting to many of us as puzzles in and of themselves,
but certainly there are far more 'meaningful' (at least to students) things
to worry about than a falling spring which is being stretched only by it's
own weight (once released). Perhaps, if the answer really demonstrates some
important aspect of forces that is applicable in other situations, then the
effort is worthwhile. However, I am skeptical, and worry that if we are
presenting this kind of thing to all but our most dedicated Physics-major
students, then we are likely to elicit (not to our faces) the response
above.

My reaction was 180 degrees (Celsius) different from Rick's. It appears
that you are not interested in this question. You cannot get a student
interested in such questions if you yourself have never found them
interesting. I guarantee you that a child could be interested in this
question. The process by which the child's curiosity has been beaten
out of her by the time she gets to your class is, I'm afraid, what we
call "education". It appears to have had the same effect on you.

I think Donald's question is an excellent one, and one worthy of
careful analysis by any student. Were I a religious man, Rick, I would
pray for the redemption of your immortal soul.

Of course I don't really know Donald's intentions toward this
question--maybe just for his own edification or to challenge the rest of us
on this list.

Again, I started to write on this and had to put it aside for another
day (I saved what I'd written). It is *too interesting* for my present
available time. I have reference letters to write and exams to grade
before Monday morning, but I will get back to it!

Leigh