Re: Light slows down in glass?

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, David Bowman wrote:

I wonder if the purported incompatibility of emission/absorption
phenomena with a classical wavelike description for the EM field that you
(Bill) suppose is more likely an incompatibility between an emission/
absorption process that is *coherent* and one that is *incoherent* rather
than one which is particle-like and one which is wavelike. Maybe you think
of incoherent processes as particle-like and coherent ones as wavelike?

Bingo! That's the problem. I'm wanting to describe some situations as
involving fields, and not realizing that particles will work too, with
particles being coherent.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb