Re: light is slowing down

Prompted by a private message (see below) let me explain why I think that
Huygens principle is an objectionable argument for v<c in glass and water.
(The author calls it "a smokescreen for the scatterning process". I would
not go that far; a military smokescreen is usually a deliberate attempt to
cover the truth. An honest misconception is probably a better description.)

The introductory model of "absorbing and reemitting " of waves is a setup
of two tuning fork boxes, one ringing and another initially at rest. After
many periods the second fork box starts ringing and emitting waves. I used
to say that something similar happens to light; each molecule on the path of
a wave is like a little tuning fork, except that forces are electric rather
than mechanical. The secondary wave fronts we draw, for example to derive
Snell's law, represent waves from secondary sources. But I am no longer
comfortable with the "absorprion and reemission" explanation. Ligh travels
too fast to make it acceptable. Can a replacement suitable for an
introductory physics course be found for explaining v<c?

Ludwik Kowalski
P.S.
Why does the "out of phase" (see below) must mean v<c? Note that the speed
of light in air decreases gradually with pressure. I used to say that the
speed of light decreases when the number of "absorption and reemission"
steps, per unit length, is growing. How can v<c in air be explained
correctly at the elementary level? And why only some dielectric materials
are transparent?

I'm entering this conversation late... so perhaps this has already been
mentioned and I missed it. Have you looked at Feynman's approach to the
index of refraction? It seems to me that the 'absorption and reemmsion
etc' are really just a smokescreen for the scatterning process. An
incoming wave induces a time dependent polarization of the atomic charge
distribution that can then produce it's own radiation... out of phase
with the original wave of course... I think it's the influence of this
additional wave that produces the change in speed of the origianal
wave... at least that's my understanding.