Re: Light slows down in glass?

Let me try another attack at this. Start with a fixed point charge and its
electrostatic field. Now introduce a conductor into this space; there will
be a transient period of time during which the mobile charges in the
conductor will be moved by the original field. After the transient period,
the original field of the point charge still exists everywhere, just as
before, but there are now also the fields of the re-arranged mobile charges
(which will exactly cancel the original field inside the conductor). The
net field everywhere is the superposition of all of these fields.

Now repeat the scenario, except that the original source charge is
oscillating and generating a wave into all of space. Introducing matter
into this ALREADY EXISTING field will produce secondary radiation sources
out of each mobile charge IMMEDIATELY. The original field still exists
everywhere, and there will be a transient period during which the secondary
and original waves superimpose into a steady state wave pattern whose PHASE
VELOCITY is c/n (given a transparent material). The "extinction theorem" of
Omnes (1915) examined this model in detail (Cf Born & Wolf's Optics book).
Much like the phase velocity in a waveguide, this phase velocity can even be
greater than c! It is only the "velocity" of a geometric pattern.
-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html