Re: Explaining explain

I agree with Mark here. 'ONLY a theory' may mean a candidate explanation
to a scientist, but to creationists (and some of my students,
creationist or not) it means 'not to be believed'. I try to get across the
idea that 'theory' is a mark of honor in science: it explains enough to be
taken seriously. Theory is not a four letter word!

I must say I experience the opposite problem with the word "theory". People
tend to use it to mean "opposed to the facts", as in "That's all very well
in theory, but..." This is reinforced when they hear that the "Theory of
Relativity" proposes all sorts of uncommonsensical ideas about time and
space. What else would one expect of a theory?

Mark.

Good point, Mark. However this disparaging use of the word "theory"
as in "it's ONLY a theory" emphasizes that a theory is a candidate
for some absolute and objective truth, but argues that this particular
one doesn't (as yet, perhaps) cut it. It implies that there exists, and
we are searching for, the "true" theory, rather than for more useful models.
I am concerned with the question of what we claim to be searching for.

-Bob
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html