Van de Graaf

Hello group. I'm new to the group, and new to physics teaching. I
have been teaching for a year and a half. I have had to use old and broken
equipment. For example, the penny/feather demo. tube had an indian head
penny in it.
My question is about fixing an old Van de Graaf generator. The
rubber band had fallen apart in my hands, and I can not find any to fit
well. I'm currently using plastic tape (its like the police line tape).
It works well, but I like BIG sparks.
Any ideas on other materials I could use would be helpful.
Thanks.