Re: Boring labs

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:57:09 -0500 (EST) Sam Sampere
<sampere@suhep.phy.syr.edu> writes:
Herb,

You hit the nail on the head!!!! Experiments should not be boring!
If they are, it was designed WRONG!!!! The experiment should be
designed at the edge of student understanding, challenging their views.
How can that be boring??? When I was at Bell Labs, I was never bored.

I fully agree. Yet, all too many of the high school and introductory
physics
college labs do not have too much interest or challenge. It is much
worse in the introductory chemistry labs where results are always
known in advance of the lab and the student is forbidden to
"experiment" with chemicals because she might hurt herself.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where some physics labs are almost as boring as most chemistry labs)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]