Re: Radioactive SparkPlugs

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:47:49 -0600
From: "Norman Lohstreter" <petel@TENET.EDU>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: Radioactive SparkPlugs

<snip>
radioactive spark plugs. The problem I have is that for
any applications such as spark gaps or ionizers, it is
Po-210 that is used. Also, as I mentioned in my
original posting, I can <snip>

The above reminds me that I have in my Radiation
Demonstration kit a device that I rescued from a sidewalk
sale. I don't have the details, but, I seem to recall
that the device was labled a "Spark Gap" for some type of
short wave radio (I think) It is about 1.5 cm in length
and maybe 3-4 mm in diameter. Both ends were gold and the
body was apparently a ceramic material. The box indicated
that the device contained Cesium-137. When I got it back
to the lab, I Pegged the needle on the gieger counter. I
finally got an estimate of 100-400 microCuries. ( I
really need better equipment)

Anyone have any idea as to the exact nature of the device
and how it was supposed to work? What part of the circuit
would it be placed in? An ohmmeter test indicated an open
circuit between the end contacts.

Pete Lohstreter
Physics Department
North Garland High School

petel@tenet.edu
I think that you were supposed to put it near the gap in
order to start some ionization and lower the breakdown
voltage. Please do not put it in the gap if you expect to
put enough voltage across the gap to make a spark. Some of
it may evaporate and the you'll have it everywhere!
WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr