Re: Radioactive SparkPlugs

-----Original Message-----
From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI <KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu>

I do remember reading somewhere about using alpha-radioactive sources
at the top ends of lightning rods. Can somebody confirm this? The purpose
of using them this way is less obvious than in spark plugs.

Radioactive sources have been used to ionize the air in the vicinity of
probes used for measuring electrostatic potential differences in the earth's
atmosphere. I do not speak from experience; I recall this only from
perusing the literature, but it makes sense.

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html
Edinboro, PA (814)838-7185