Re: Science software for elementary/middle school kids?

[Thanks for the software suggestion.]

I use computer interfacing software with my high school students, but have
not been convinced of its appropriateness for the general populace at the
middle or elementary level.

Well, I think it depends on the project and the software. In the book
"Constructionism", there's a nice example of 5th grade kids learning
fractions by *writing* fraction software for 4th graders. Software that
allows kids to program their own science simulations (e.g. Cocoa,
Agentsheets) is, I think, a good thing. Cutting elementary kids loose with
pre-designed simulations may not be worthwhile -- mainly because the kids
are less motivated to interact with pre-programmed worlds than to design
their own. Seems to be the case, anyway.

Thanks for your help,

Cody