deluged by information

According to The New York Times (January 6, 1998, page F2) the following
message was posted on a web site (http://www.edge.org) by the Nobel
laureate Murray Gell-Mann (who INVENTED quarks in 1964?):

"How can we improve our reward system for excellence in filtering,
interpreting and synthesizing the vast body of so-called information
with which we are deluged?"

In other words how can minds of our students be protected? I do not
know how to answer this question. Can you?
Ludwik Kowalski