Re: Empiry, Quacks & Charlatans.

At 15:04 1/9/98 EST, Tom wrote:

... I love that word. Let me say it. Empiry. Empiry, empiry,
empiry. Now, it's part of me. (I must use it in a conversation sometime
today....

Perhaps it would be as well to refer to a U.S. source (The Century
is an excellent etymological reference) rather than slavishly
defer to Oxford:

"Empirical method or practice; esp., undue reliance on experience;
unscientific practice; quackery
(for empirical) ...without regard to science or theory, esp. in medical
practice; hence, unscientific; charlatanic."

New Century, Emery & Brewster eds., Appleton-Century-Crofts pub.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts :-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK