Re: Speech sensors?

At 14:59 1/2/98 EST, Tom Wayburn wrote:
Brothers and Sisters, a friend who occupied a fairly high-level
administrative job at U. of Houston claimed that the speaker-phone
transducers in the office phones were active regardless of whether the
the phone was in use or not and that every word spoken in the office
wherein the speaker phone was placed was recorded digitally and scanned
for key words like "pot", "freedom", "explosion", "nose", "candy",
"snort", "gun", "politician", etc. True or false - I know not.

Happy new year / The Dilettante

To the best of my knowledge, most office phone systems currently sold are
equiped with several interesting oversight capabilities:

1) Dial a code to silently monitor conversations on a particular extension
when active.
2) Similar method to monitor room audio when phone not in use.

If you have occasion to use telephone support activities - it is no
accident that the introductory speech notes monitoring is possible to
"improve service."

I had the misfortune to be a part of Xerox's 'customer support' operations
for a while. They omitted to get my prior approval to phone tapping - and
made life tough when I demurred. I finally walked away.

Ah, the pleasures of office-life...

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK