pronunciation of Principia -Reply

Pedantic trivia: delete before reading!

In the spirit of picking finer and finer nits: Latin pronunciation has varied
with time and geographical location. Prin-kip'-ee-a, as Leigh pointed out, is
"classical" pronunciation, popularized in the nineteenth century as a part of
the romantic revival, and based upon scholarly opinion of what the Romans
probably used. There is (contrary to the party line) no standardized "Church"
pronunciation. Prin-sip'-ee-a is what we think of as "Jesuit" (probably
Spanish in origin) pronunciation. From the Renaissance onward, sung church
latin has utilized the "Italianate" pronunciation, in which we would say
Prin-chee'-pee-a. Prin-si-pee'-a is a solecism. I took Latin originally
from a classicist, spent my undergrad years at a Jesuit university, and then
joined the Benedictines where italianate rules. Even now I get confused.
Margaret Clarke, OSB
College of St. Scholastica, Duluth.

Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU> 12/16 3:29 pm >>>
I have heard that the proper (derived from Latin) pronunciation of Newton's
Principia is prin-kip'-ee-a. I have heard many others pronounce it
prin-sip'-ee-a, but heard on a cassette tape about the world's greatest 100
people the pronunciation prin-si-pee'-a.

What do you Latin experts say?

Just a nit to pick for the holidays.

Larry