Re: Grading & Excel-dropping 1

Richard W. Tarara wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Stine <rstine@ptdprolog.net>

I like WordPerfect and QuattroPro much better than Word or Excel

Having used all four extensively (and for the benefit of those just starting
to use these programs) it really is a Wash. Each program has good points
(over the competition) and each have ideosynchratic behaviors with which one
becomes comfortable and which then makes it a little more difficult to
switch. With WP/Qpro having been shuffled off through three different
companies in the past couple years, Word & Excel now are one iteration ahead
in terms of features (and size--big). The bottom line is that the programs
are really equivalent (so also say most published reviews) and if one MUST
switch from one to the other, it is no big deal.

Rick

You're probably correct; however, I've been using QuattroPro since when
Excel was a poor imitation and choose to stick with it. I have both
Office 97 and WordPerfect Suite 8 installed on my computer and prefer to
work with WordPerfect and QuattroPro. Most likely I feel this way
because I'm most familiar with these programs. Besides the price is
right for the Corel products, and the 10,000 clip art images blow away
anything in the Office package. The science clip arts are a must to
have.

You believed that there wasn't much difference between Office 95 and
Office 97 which is also probably a correct assumption. Other than the
"Easter Eggs" in Office 95, Uncle Bill Gates probably fixed Office 97 so
that it could be easily "bundled" with the new Windows 98. Fortunately,
the Justice Department has temporarily stopped him from further unfair
market practices.

Just my thoughts for the day.

Roger
--