Re: Air resistance

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

The accuracy of a single d measurement is about one wavelength (8mm).
The *extraordinary* goodness comes from the internal smoothing, as described
by John G. This smoothing, and the second smoothing to get accelerations,
are apparently responsinble for large systematic errors.

I hadn't previously understood that the d values *themselves* were subject
to smoothing. Is that really true? If so, it's too bad, because even the
d values will reflect the assumptions of the smoothing algorithm and
compromise our ability to do and interpret a chi-squared analysis of the
model fits. If the uncertainty in the raw data is really as large as 8 mm,
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the data is consistent with the
hypothessis of *no* air resistance whatsoever. Can you, somehow, still
get at the raw values of d for that run?

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223