Re: What are the labs for?

I believe labs are for many purposes
1). To teach students how to measure physical quantities and how to use
the tools available in a lab.
2). To give students practice at evaluating whether they have indeed
measured what they set out to measure. (How do we know we know?)
3). To illustrate the concepts discussed in the course. To give
students a hands-on example of an idea rather than just an equation. To
show them what some of the terms "mean" and not just have them provide
rote definitions.
4). To see if students can "do" the physics they calculate.
5). To practice making the decisions that come from performing an
open-ended lab, the how do I measure this idea? How do I know if I
really have measured it? Is there a better way to do this?
6). To formulate their own hypotheses and experimental design (the
classic "discovery" approach that is so effective at creating long-term
learning, but so disruptive to the syllabus.
7). To make learning fun. (I realize that this idea has already sent a
firestorm through this site).
8). To provide an additional avenue of learning in an attempt to provide
meaningful experiences for all students in hopes of presenting the
material in their preferred learning style.

I realize there are many more reasons for doing labs, but my particular
server will kick me off here in a few minutes if I don't do something
active. So I guess I will stop there

Greg Kifer A successful education should allow one to entertain three
things, and idea, a friend, and oneself.