Naive conceptions -Reply

Hi Margaret!
After reading your message about the statement at your
meeting you probably would have made a hit if you told about the
concept of light bulbs and candles being dark suckers instead of
light emitters. Light bulbs and candle wicks get blackened with
age due to the "dark" going into them. Since I had previously
heard about the dark suckers from some fellow physics teacher
friends out in the NW, I appreciated your comments. At your next
meeting maybe you can "endarken" them with this other similar
concept. These different ideas are kind of fun to think about
though, don't you think?
Gordon Shepherd
Guilford Tech. Comm. Coll.
Jamestown, NC 27282

"Sr. Margaret Clarke" <mclarke@css.edu> 12/12/97
10:24am >>>
I just came from an institutional committee meeting at which a
senior faculty
member of the Humanities division, commenting on the chill in the
air,
explained: "When there aren't any clouds in the sky, the cold from
outer space
can get in at night."

Margaret Clarke,
College of St. Scholastica, Duluth MN.