Re: Creation (long)

Dan sez:

In the simplest (homogeneous) cosmological models, yes, the big bang
happens everywhere. But from an observational standpoint, I don't see
how you can be sure of this. We can observe only a limited amount
of the universe, after all. Who's to say what conditions are like
a billion billion light-years away from us, or what the history of
such distant places was?

It is clear that Dan wants to view all this from the point of view of an
emperisist -- this is just fine -- I laud his feeelings that we should teach
in this fashion -- certainly our students need to have a MUCH better feel
for the scientific method.

But *I* would like to pretend that I am a great all seeing eye with perfect
hypervision and sitting (or floating) several billion universe diameters
from here. I know, I know. You all will say that there ain't no such place,
but you get the point. I don't want to be limited by photon speed. And I
want to assume that Universe physics is homogenious. In addition I am quite
willing to call whereever the BB occured a "point" in discourse with lay
people IE if the Universe at 0.01sec was <<< the current Universe diameter,
I don't mind calling the original size a point (with a little hemming and
hawing when it is helpful). What ever happened <10^-43 sec is just detail.

BTW what *was* the size of the Universe at 0.01sec? 10^-43sec? Dan, I see
that you don't think it wise to talk about <0.01sec, but humor me if you can.

In deed *is* there a place a billion billion light years from here? I
suppose so -- if the rate of expansion of the Universe <10^-43 sec was VERY
great. But I am waiting for David to comment here.

This is fun!

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com