Re: Creation (long)

Also it is *not* thought to be the case that "the stuff of this Universe is
expanding into this expanding space". The stuff of the universe is thought
to completely fill out the whole universe at *all* times.

The Big Bang happened everywhere. This singularity is *not* a point *in*
space. Rather, it is the confluence of all of space to an infinitely
compressed state at a finite point *in time* in the past. I would not want
to speculate about the dynamical behavior of the spacetime of 'other
universes', but if they exist, then their spacetime manifolds are
disconnected (by definition of *other* spacetime) from the spacetime of our
universe and the concept of 'where' or 'when' they are makes no sense
within our our own spacetime.

In the simplest (homogeneous) cosmological models, yes, the big bang
happens everywhere. But from an observational standpoint, I don't see
how you can be sure of this. We can observe only a limited amount
of the universe, after all. Who's to say what conditions are like
a billion billion light-years away from us, or what the history of
such distant places was?

Actually, if the universe is 10 billion years old we *can* see farther
than 10 billion light years because of the expansion of the universe. If
a photon has been travelling for 10 billion years from when it was emitted
until it was absorbed, the proper distance between the emission point and
the absorption point is significantly *greater* than 10 billion light years
at the moment of absorption, and is *much* less than 10 billion light years
at the moment of emission. The space between the emission point and the
absorption point is stretching while the photon is propagating. If the
universe is 10 billion years old, and if the universe is the asymptotically
spatially flat borderline case between openness and closedness
(as predicted by inflationary senarios, and if the cosmological constant is
really close to zero) then the current proper distance to the observational
horizon is just under *30* billion light years because for such a spacetime
the proper spatial separation between the emission point and the absorption
point at the moment of absorption (given that the emission time was
immediately after the Big Bang) is *3 times* the light travel distance that
a photon propagating for the same amount of time on a static spacetime
would have.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

-dan