E&M Revolution

As I have been teaching E&M, I have come to the conclusion that the
nomenclature for fields seems highly illogical and unnecessarily
confusing.

Therefore, I would like to modestly propose a revolution in E&M
nominclature. (Note: e0 = epsilon naught, mu0 = mu naught)

Let the electric dipole moment be p = qd, but point FROM + TO -.
(change the sign)
Let polarization be P = (p/V) / e0
(add the 1/e0)
Let D be given by (Del dot D) = rho(free) / e0
(add the e0)

Let magnetization be M = (m/V) * mu0
(add the mu0)

Let H be given by Del x H = J(free) * mu0
(add the mu0)

THE ADVANTAGES

The fundamental fields (E & B) are unchanged.

The pesky e0 and mu0 are eliminated from the equations relating E,D,&M;
and B,M,&H.
B = H + M
E = D + P

The equation for E is brought in line with the more logical equation
for B: the fundamental field (E or B) is the *SUM* of the free field (D
or H) and the bound field (P or M).

All the fields have the same dimension (much like cgs).

THE DISADVANTAGES:

The only thing I can think of is retraining the current generation of
physicists, rewriting textbooks and retabulating handbooks.

Just minor stuff like that ;)

So, any comments from the gallery??? Is this worth an AJP article or
has it already been done?

--- Tim
Timothy J Folkerts tim.folkerts@valpo.edu
Department of Physics (219) 464-6634