Inertia - tablecloth

I use the tablecloth demo when discussing impulse. We discuss the difference
between the response when I pull slowly and quickly.
I believe that when one pulls quickly that you actually raise the plate and
glass, like tossing them up in the air. The result is a very small impulse is
given to the plate and glass, there being little frictional force. It seems the
effect is due not just to a short time. With a small impulse there is little
change in motion (and position) because the plate and glass have relatively
large inertia. One might try a glass with water and an empty one, or a light
plate and a more massive one. I tried once but I'm not very good at repeating
the motion so I don't know if one can extract more from the demo.

"Hitting the nail into a board on top of a book resting on a person's head"
is shown as a demo illustrating "inertia". I do that. I'm the person and a
student hits the nail with a carpenters hammer. I use it when discussing impulse
also.