Re: Buoyant Bullets

At 21:13 10/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
Perhaps I did not make it clear, Brian. I was referring to a bullet fired
horizontally, not vertically down. The vertical component of is so small
(component of v) that the effect of vertical air resistance is negligible.
Perhaps the term LIFT, usually associated with wings, is not appropriate
for the upword force due to a very large horizontal air resistance (as.
reported by John).
Ludwik Kowalski

It is a common-place of ballistics that a well-spun shell by holding
its attitude near to its initial elevation develops lift as it drops.

It is also well known that the general run of say - pistol bullets nutate
markedly about their flight axis and do not develop lift in the same way.

But let's take a look at the situation you cite: a bullet launched
horizontally will certainly drop. This can provide a positive angle of
attack. If there is a considerable drag, some fraction of this is disposed
vertically, AND there can also be (real) lift force available.

John did NOT report lift due to a horizontal drag force (or if he did,
he doubtless regrets it.) I recall he mentioned there must be at least a
small vertical component.

Sincerely,

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK