Re: The Good Stuff

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> wrote:
At 19:27 10/21/97 -0500, you wrote:...
As far as nuclear physics goes, I stop mechanics in November, and do a
unit on nuclear physics and take my students to both Fermilab and Argonne
in suburban Chicago. This trip has been a highlight of my classes since I
began it 6 years ago....
Patti Mason

This seems like an inspired idea.
I suppose the site of Fermi's pile has gone to buildings now?

Actually the site of the first sustained nuclear chain reaction (on the
University of Chicago campus near Jackson Park) is now covered with tennis
courts, if I remember correctly. Or at least an open field. There *is*
a cool sculpture by Henry Moore and a plaque commemorating the event, next
to the sidewalk.

--
Jon Bell <jtbell@presby.edu> Presbyterian College