Re: Cosmological redshift

What, if anything, are the photons reflecting from? This has always been
very confusing to me.

I should have mentioned that. In the formalism the space may be finite
but unbounded (closed universe) or perhaps spatially periodic with
continuously increasing period. I can't do more than wave my hands and
talk about balloons when it comes to the closed universe, I'm afraid.
My conceptual grasp is no firmer than that.

We are getting into very muddy waters here. Tests by observation can't
even resolve the ambiguity over whether the universe is finite or
infinite. In that context are detailed questions about the reality of
such things as the cosmic red shift perhaps a bit premature?

Leigh