Re: maximum entropy and the seeking of lowest PE

Every system has an ultimate thermodynamic fate as a
black hole, even if the only way to get there is via QM tunneling.

Case I: no QM allowed; but GR is allowed (i.e. black holes are allowed)

If the Universe consisted of the "spherical" Sun and the "spherical
uniform
density" earth only, orbiting at roughly the current earth-sun density.
The
ultimate fate is the earth orbiting the sun and is not a black hole

The angular momentum of the universe I take to be zero. In an earlier
posting I alluded to preserving the dynamical integrals. I've found
since that is not necessary in the case of the universe. Hypothetical
universes may not end as black holes; my hypothetical universe does!

Leigh,
I'm confused by the above. Did you mean to just be giving an example of a
Universe that does end as a black hole? As opposed to saying that all
possible universes must end as a black hole?

Case II: QM allowed

Let's say we finally have reached the ultimate state of a black hole (I'm
not agreeing that this has to happen; I'm just examining that particular
case). Then Hawking radiation affect would occur and the BH would
evaporate
away until we had some sort of bath of thermodynamically distributed
elementary particles (for the most part) through out the Universe.

Black holes that big have zero vapor pressure. Hawking radiation
decreases with increasing mass.

Yes, but it requires infinite mass to have zero vapor pressure, so
regardless of size, as long as it is finite, there is some vapor pressure; I
freely admit one will have to wait a long long long time for any significant
percentage to have evaporated away. But as a matter of principle . . .

BTW thanks for not pointing out the bad screw-up in what I said after these
examples, I wrote a quick errata that should appear on the list.

Joel