Re: Equinoxes

When was precession of the equinoxes first observed and how was the
observation made? When was it verified?

The discovery is attributed by Ptolemy to Hipparchus, ca. 135 BC.
Hipparchus must have had access to the measurements of an earlier
observer.

It seems from my reading that is has been known for a very long time and
yet I wonder how something with such a large period was observed
originally.

It has always been a source of amazement to me, too.

Leigh