Re: Chain Problem. Was: correct answer

Leigh,

When the end of the chain comes near the Smart Pulley, it actually leaves
the surface of the pulley (the chain has a whip action) so the pulley
begins to slow due to friction. I don't want that data but rather, I
want the data where the falling chain is showing an increasing
acceleration. This is why I use a program called ULI Timer and set the
software to collect a specific number of data points. The acceleration
vs. time graph is 'lovely' and gives the high school student an opportunity
to grapple with non-uniform acceleration - something they do not
encounter all that frequently since most are just beginning calculus or
will not get this math until college.

Lowell

What's this about "extraneous data"? Does your chain become unphysical
at some point? I think that the departure from the simple model can be
an opportunity to teach something.

Leigh