Re: correct answer

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

This is like a conveyor belt picking up additional mass: energy
is dissipated! But that is no problem to the Work Energy theorem
because it is not concerned with energy conservation.

If you integrate the applied force over the CENTER OF MASS
coordinate (NOT the "point of application") you will get the
change in the system C.M. kinetic energy, which is what the
Work Energy theorem requires.

Conservation of energy is another story!

In the light of other comments, let me add that (as in the
conveyor belt taking on additional mass) I view this as a
series of totally inelastic collisions as each "link" is
brought up to speed. A totally inelastic collision
occurs whenever two masses, initially at different speeds,
interact so as to achieve a common speed ; this mandates
a definite loss of kinetic energy. This dissipated energy
is made up by the motor driving the conveyor belt, or by
the agent pulling the chain.

I agree that the fire hose is not a good embodiment of this
idealization. But a chain of links allows each link in turn to
be brought up to speed while the remaining coil remains at
rest, as envisioned in my idealization. Then this problem is
"identical" to the motor driven conveyor belt passing under a
dispenser of sand which continually increases the amount of
moving mass, necessitating inelestic interactions.

(Note: the work integral over the trajectory of the CM is
worth doing explicitly.)

--
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net