Re: Today's jaw dropper

At 09:02 10/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
There seems to be a curious, i.e., questionable, presumption in recent
posts to this thread that there are established correlations between a
person being:
1. a significant scientific innovator
2. a good teacher
3. a model for, or judge of, moral behavior
I see no reason to think that these are necessarily correlated....

I see no reason to think that brilliance in research has any correlation
with teaching excellence. And no reason to think that even excellent
teaching can turn a good student into a significant innovator.
Non-brilliance in, non-brilliance out. A good teacher facilitates a Ph. d.
in transit.

I don't think Einstein ever had an academic position where he would have
had students. (... I could
well be wrong and would be happy to be corrected.)

This was an interesting post - in the short time I have on hand for lunch
I should only comment that Einstein did in fact hold such a teaching post.
It's fair to say he hated it!

I'll try to come back later with better responses to your note.

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK