Re: Today's jaw dropper

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Back when Serway came out one of my sons was a Student in a first
year physics class at Carleton University, where the book had
been adopted. I sent him a copy of Tipler, the book we were using
at that time at SFU, and asked him to compare the books by using
Tipler too. He came down on the side of Tipler.

I'm not happy with *any* first year textbook, including Tipler.
In my opinion none in the current generation of fat, brightly
(and mostly gratuitously) colored members of that genre is as
good as Sears and Zemansky was more than forty years ago.

Leigh

Yes, I hear you. Sears and Zemansky could come up with some howlers
too. I have a copy of an edition put together to include some modern
physics (possibly by the publishers) that had so many mistakes it was
unusable for a text. Please don't ask me how I know. On one or the
early pages the statement is made that the second condition of
equilibrium means that an object may not be in equilibrium under the
action of three or more forces unless the forces are concurrent. On the
concurrent unless you say that parallel forces are concurrent at infinity
or some such.

W. Barlow Newbolt 540-463-8881 (telephone)
218 Howe Hall 540-463-8884 (fax)
Washington and Lee University newbolt.w@fs.science.wlu.edu
Lexington, Virginia 24450 wnewbolt@liberty.uc.wlu.edu

"It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century,
the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing
quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct."

Michio Kaku, 1995