Re: web courses

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 R. Allen Shotwell" <rshotwel@ivy.tec.in.us>
described his web courses (see below). Very interesting.

How many students take these courses? How many can you handle in each
section? Are you receiving the same teaching credits as you did before?

Did you, people, see Wilson's article in the last Sylabus (Sept 1997)?
What do you think about his "synchronous/assynchronous" argiments?

For those who do not know: Sylabus is devoted to technology in education
(see http://www.sylabus.com). Teachers can subscribe at no cost. The
circulation editor is Nancy Rogers at circ@sylabus.com

Starting this fall, I am piloting three web based courses - Physics
101, Physic 102 and Physical Science. These courses are part of an
Associates (two year) degree for Technology and Business majors. There
is no face-to-face contact although all of the students involved are
also taking on campus courses.

I have learned several intersesting lessons already including the fact
that I do have a good deal of contact with the students via telephone,
e-mail and fax. I plan on putting my observations together in a
paper/presentation at the conclusion of the semester.

Anyone interested, may visit the site at
http://www.ivy.tec.in.us/haute/mathsci/phy102.htm. Be warned that ...

.... I may also point out that although the I originally intended to
make use of CU-Seeme to interact with students from time to time, but
I have now put together a chat plus video feed page that will be posted
in the near future.