Re: High Voltage (fwd)

Hi,
As soon as I started reading this thread I started looking
for a reply from William Beaty, knowning his interest in such things.
As expected his response was informed. The one thing he did not mention
was why the Tesla coil does not follow the normal spark gap rules. I
think these rules are for DC sparks or at least single polarity. Tesla
coils are transformers and thus produces AC. In the version I just looked
up it appears that the circuit is symmetric with respect to polarity but
I am not sure that this is universally true.

Thanks
Roger Haar

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, William Beaty wrote: > > > To clarify: tesla coil
sparks are a special case, because they usually are
single ended,