Re: Graphing Software

Hi:

I have been using Excel to geneate the various graphs I use on
tests and homework problem sets. However, I find it something of
a nuisance. You have to first use a formula to fill the cells with
data, then select the cells and use the chart wizard.

I was wondering what other software is out there. I am looking
for something that allows you to enter a formula and a domain as well
as being able to draw a graph based on a data chart. On the other
hand, I don't need something that will draw a fancy three dimensional
graph.

Thanks for any input.

--
Dan's suggestion is good. Here's another possibility. If you have Vernier's
Graphical analysis (version 2.0 or later) you can create almost any
function you want by manufacturing a few data points and then using the
automatic curve-fitting software to fit the curve you are interested in to
the data points. If you use the data box to create points that fit the
curve you are interested in, the auto-fit procedure is very fast and gives
nice-looking graphs. If you click on the header for the second column of
data (the "Y" column) and type in the function you want to graph, then
enter a few x-values (the y-values will be calculated for you and
automatically plotted) and then choose the same function in the "automatic
curve fit" choice under the Analyze menu, GA will then fit the desired
curve to the data that was created to fit that curve. It's easy, and If you
don't have GA, this is a good excuse to get the best student data analysis
program around. It costs $50 and includes a site license for your whole
campus in that price. It does have to stay on school computers, though--it
can't be downloaded to the students' personal machines as part of the
license. It also works on all platforms.

There are also lots of little shareware and freeware graphing programs out
there on various download lists. The problem with them is that they don't
usually keep up with the times. I have 5 or 6 on my computer and most of
them are old enough that they make my computer crash when I try to use
them. I should throw them away, but what can I do? I'm a confirmed
pack-rat, and everybody knows that pack-rats only keep useless stuff.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I bought a Macintosh.