Re: Stop using calories?

At 07:30 PM 9/19/97 -0400, Herb wrote:

I'm not sure that a degree celsius is the same size as a degree kelvin.

A Celsius degree is exactly = K -- It is a Centigrade degree which differs.

However, I like your idea of standardizing one or the other for the
SI system of units.

Thank you for your kind thought. There *is* an SI standard -- it is the K.
It seems to me that unless there is a *clear* and *compelling* advantage to
the use of a non-SI unit and only in a class intended for non-physical
science people), that the SI be used exclusively -- no matter what the
instructor is more *comfortable* with -- let the instructor get off his/her
mental rear end and be professional about it.

This philosophy pervades many of the threads on this list. We often hear
things like "Well you are correct (strictly), but why can't I do it my old
fashioned (read 'incorrect') way none-the-less." This is often the same as
saying "I am too lazy to improve my teaching."

Jim Green

BTW *ALL* "lines" (and "line segments") are "straight" except in art class!

(Also if one's batting average is .333 "on" the year, what does that mean???
Why are sports people so dense that they can't at least approximate the
English language? Just me in my little corner over here.)