Re: free fall data

OOP, ignore the previously posted wording. I ment to say position, not speed.

I am responding to this message:

I avoid noise in the free fall data by having the students use 16
positions evenly spaced in time. The key point is that *no* position
gets used more than once. I ask them to calculate the average velocity
between the 1st and 9th point, the 2nd and 10th point, etc. to the 8 and
16th points. This means they only get 8 velocities, BUT THEY ARE
INDEPENDENT, AND ARE OVER LONG DISTANCES-SO SMALL POSITION ERRORS ARE'T
FATAL.

Suppose the time dependence of y is triangular. The position goes from zero
to 10 when t is between 0 and 5 seconds, then it goes from 10 to 0 when t
is between 5 and 10 seconds. You measure y every second and collect 11 data
points. To avoid using the same position twice you calculate average v
between points 0 and 6, 1 and 7, etc. And you come to a WRONG conclusion
that there is no acceleration; the averge v remains constant.
Ludwik Kowalski