phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu

From: "Carl E. Mungan" <cmungan@uwf.edu>
Suppose I connect two capacitors in series across a battery. Label the four
capacitor plates from left to right as A, B, C, and D. Okay, suppose A is
connected to the positive terminal of the battery, so out goes charge +Q to
it, and compensating charge off D, leaving -Q on it. My question is: why
does the charge on B and C have to be -Q and +Q, respectively?

I seem to recall an article in The Physics Teacher, perhaps 3 or 4 years
back, that dealt with this question in some detail. I cannot give the
reference, but maybe somebody else can?

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic, Duino, Trieste, Italy.
msylvest@spin.it
tel: +39 40 3739 255